ON COURSE WORKSHOP FOR FRONTLINE STAFF
Helping frontline staff contribute to student success and retention
This 1-day workshop is designed to address the unique interaction between frontline staff and students as an opportunity to enhance student responsibility and ultimate success in the college experience. The purpose of the workshop is to recognize the importance of the role of frontline staff as educators, ‘empowerers’ of students and retention specialists. The workshop provides frontline staff with principles and practices for helping students to achieve greater academic success and persistence. This workshop is designed for those who want to contribute to creating a culture of success across the campus, such as…
- Frontline staff who work with students in office settings, such as Admissions, Registrar’s, and Business office.
- Staff who work in student success centers (e.g., Counseling, Advisement, Health Centers, Libraries and Learning Centers campus).
- Student support services professionals who work individually with students.
- Administrators who seek to create a culture of success using On Course principles as a framework.
- Students who are involved with supplemental instruction, peer tutoring, student government, and other leadership positions.
FRONTLINE WORKSHOP AGENDA:
|9:00-10:15||SESSION 1: UNDERSTANDING THE ROLE OF FRONTLINE STAFF IN STUDENT SUCCESS
Helping frontline staff embrace the important part they play in student success and retention.
|10:30-12:00||SESSION 2: CREATING A CULTURE OF SUCCESS
Learning and experiencing strategies that frontline staff can employ to help students become more empowered and successful in college.
|1:00-2:30||SESSION 3: CREATING A CULTURE OF RETENTION
Learning and experiencing strategies that frontline staff can employ for increasing student retention.
|2:45-4:00||SESSION 4: EMPOWERING STUDENTS TO SUCCEED AND PERSIST
Identifying a process that allows frontline staff to help students resolve problems while practicing the skills needed to be an effective frontline staff member.
After attending the On Course Frontline Staff workshop, my staff and I had some great conversations about eliminating barriers to student success in our department (barriers we have some control over)! I know your workshop contributed to some decisions being made regarding how to approach new student orientation this past summer, and we really appreciate the material that was presented. Great job!–Lisa Thomas, Associate Dean of Student Life, Northwestern Michigan College, MI