STEM-H graduation rates are up by 96%, the highest increase in New Mexico.
Over the past five years, San Juan College (SJC) has created a 143% increase in their graduation rates. This remarkable achievement came about by a campus wide concerted effort to address the national issue of low Community College graduation rates. Instituting a mandatory Student Success class based on the On Course curriculum is a primary driver.
The Student Success course is now mandatory for all students who take at least one developmental course, and it must be taken during their first 12 credit hours. At SJC that is approximately 85% of all students.
They offer approximately 80 sections a year. In order to ensure quality course offers they focus on intensive training for Instructors. bringing On Course workshops to campus. In addition, all LRNS 111 Instructors must participate in an annual two-day in-house training in the latest On Course principles and active learner teaching strategies.
The college president has advocated for the On Course principles to be adopted campus wide so staff and administration can benefit. There have been multiple On Course trainings for employees. These range from all employee presentations during Convocation week to targeted trainings for specific groups such as the Tutoring Center and Business Office.
Even the College Council and President’s Executive Leadership Team are involved, and participated in an intensive two-day On Course principles training.
In short, the campus has a commitment to On Course at all levels of the organization.
- 42 sections of LRNS 111 are offered in the current semester, Fall 2017. This includes face-to-face, hybrid, fully online, High School Dual Credit, and honors versions.
- Students who took the LRNS 111 in the Fall 2014 semester were 15.4% more likely than their counterparts to persist into the Spring semester and earned a half letter higher average GPA (.58).
- As of Spring 2017 campus wide Fall-to-Fall retention has increased to 62%, up by 10%.
- As of Spring 2017 STEM-H graduation rates are up by 96%, the highest increase in the state.
- SJC is now 1st in the nation for issuing certificates to Native American Students and 2nd in the nation for granting Associates degrees to Native American students.
- Since launching the LRNS 111 class the graduation rate has increased 143%. It is quite interesting that we started the LRNS 111 course in Fall 2013, and two years later when those students began graduating is when the rate began soaring.
See the chart and other studies: san-juan-college-new-mexico/
These numbers are remarkable in a number of ways. They show that there are solutions to the national trend of low Community College graduation rates. On Course’s unique holistic approach is a critical part of this solution. More importantly, this data is incredibly empowering. After all, every student who graduates is a life transformed. And, that transformation often trickles down to family members and friends who become inspired to try college and improve their lives.